This creamy vegetable pie with puff pastry is a comforting, easy and delicious dish. It is made with potatoes, frozen mixed vegetables and store-bought puff pastry to make it even faster.
This easy and creamy vegetable pie with puff pastry is a comforting classic this cold season. It will be ready in less than an hour (baking takes about 30 minutes), using simple ingredients. So it’s a perfect recipe for a weeknight dinner and a great option for any holiday season.
I’ve never been a cake lover; in Hungary it’s not very popular; I’m not too sure about Denmark, but I don’t remember eating it very often. But since I’m vegan and live in the UK, I eat it more often, and I’ve also already tried some versions from time to time. And now we are absolutely in love with this recipe.
Not because it’s so easy to make, but also because it’s a great recipe when you’re short on time or don’t have much left in the kitchen and still want to eat something hearty and delicious. It’s also a great idea for preparing a meal and an economical meal.
What Vegetables Can You Use For This Vegetable Pie?
You can use any vegetables you have at home. I used onions, potatoes and frozen mixed vegetables with green peas, sweet corn and carrots.
Other veggies that would work well with this vegetable pie:
To add additional protein to your vegetable pie you can use, for example, any vegan substitute for chicken, tofu or beans.
What Do You Need To Make This Easy Vegetable Pie?
- frozen mixed veggies
- puff pastry
- veggie stock
- non-sweetened dairy-free milk ( I used almond milk )
- all-purpose flour
- salt to taste
- thyme, basil – optional
- See recipe card for quantities.
How Do You Make Vegetable Pie?
This is one of the easiest recipes on my blog so far. Everything is store bought because, as you know, I love quick and easy recipes. Obviously, you can make your puff pastry which I’m sure would taste even better, but I don’t have time for that, so this ready to bake puff pastry is a perfect way to make this veggie pie even more effortless.
Because that’s all we want! Fuss-free, inexpensive and easy to make recipes, right .
So, first, make your filling in a large skillet. Then, transfer it to a baking dish, spread the puff pastry and carefully place it on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Slice, serve and enjoy!
In the refrigerator, you can store this vegetable pie in an airtight container for up to 4 days, and it freezes well.
How to serve this vegetable pie
This veggie pie is so filling that I would serve it as a main dish with a salad, or we ate it with a side of mashed potatoes which was also delicious.
You can add any vegan chicken substitute, beans or tofu to give it extra protein .
To make it even creamier and heavier, you can make it with double or heavy cream instead of dairy-free milk, and for extra cheesy flavor, add nutritional yeast to the sauce.
Keep in mind that the sauce will thicken as it cools. If you like it thicker, add more dairy-free milk and vegetable broth to the filling.
Splash a little milk or add butter to the top of the dough to make it crispier and more golden brown before baking.
easy and creamy vegetable pie with puff pastry
- 2 yellow onions
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 500 g frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 puff pastry
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 600 ml unsweetened lactose-free milk (I used almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 potatoes
- 6 tablespoons flour
- salt to taste
- thyme, basil – optional
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Remove the puff pastry from the refrigerator to thaw at room temperature.
- First, we will prepare the filling. Heat the butter in a large saucepan, sauté the onion with a pinch of salt, add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the potato, the frozen vegetable mixture, the seasonings and the flour and mix it all together.
- Then add the vegetable stock and milk, and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Allow the filling to cool.
- When the filling has cooled, transfer it to a baking dish, spread the puff pastry and place it carefully on top.
- Cut it over the top and roll it up tightly around the edges with your fingers or a fork.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown and crispy. Slice and serve warm.